Monday, June 2, 2008

Things to Buy...except fishes and plants

  • 80 Gallon Bowfront Truvu Aquarium with built-in overflow and black background. Why this? Well, for it for an amazing deal of $314 from my local store (tax included)
  • Sump and Pump - Wanted to keep the beneficial bacteria separately so that regular vacuuming of the tank does not affect them. Got both and all the plumbing kits for $419
  • Hospital tank - 10 gallon. Got it for $80
  • Green NRG Advanced CO2 System with 74 gram cartridges. The advanced system can be fitted with other CO2 cartridges. To start with I will continue using the cartridges that come from the same manufacturer. Total $185
  • Aquarium stand for bowfront. Check this out, the best stand I could find was from drfostersmith.com for only $173. The other's that would fit my aquarium costs 399 and up. Or I have to make my own. That's a different project. The only compromise that I had to do is that my stand does not have any cut-outs on the platform for sending the overflow connection to the sump. So I got a wood hole cutter from Home Depot and cut one out. Those tools cost me an additional $50 or so, but still cheaper than a $399 stand
  • Lights. I got the 48" Coralife Aqualight (Atnic) with moonlights. Cost me $255. They are mainly meant for saltwater aquariums, but I chose them for the lights which can penetrate deeper in a thibkly planted discus aquarium. Also with some timers, I can create a nice morning, day, dusk, night, dawn effect.
  • Couple of cone feeders (less mess)
  • Heater (1 small extra for the 10 gallon tank)
  • Hydor Ario Turbo Aerator. $25
  • Power Sand Special - 6L as bottom substrate. $70
  • Aqua Soil Amazonia II - 9L as background substrate. $46
  • Aqua Soil Amazonia Powder - 9L as foreground substrate. $ 40
  • Pure Ammonia from Ace Hardware and a dropper
  • Test kit for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, GH, KH and Chlorine

Still to get

  • Fritz Zyme Starter Bacteria
  • 3 timers
  • Plant Nutrients
  • Solenoid Valve to control CO2 injection
  • Riccia stones and Riccia line....yes some of the foreground will be covered with Riccia
  • Moss Cotton
  • Driftwood (for growing moss)

What I have already

  • One big chunk of rock which will provide some landscape and hiding place for the frys and my Pleco
  • Thermometer
  • Gravels from my old tank. The curved section in the front will be filled up with gravel with no plants. These gravels are the ones that come with Biorb. Excellent for their porous nature where beneficial bacteria can grow, easy to clean so these will be just below the feeders. Also they are not good medium for plants as I figured out, so they will help restrict plant growth in this area.

No comments: